Garlic and Pine Kernel Tartlets
Delicious small tartlets with a mouth-wateringly crumbly pastry and a beautiful savory filling.
- 8oz (225g) rich shortcrust pastry
- 5oz (150g) unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 4 level tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 level tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 4 level tablespoons pine kernels roughly chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- beaten egg
- Spriggs of fresh basil to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (390°F, gas mark 5)
- Roll out the pastry and use it to line four individual, fluted flan tins about 4 inches (100mm) in diameter. Press the pastry well up to the edges of the tins. Chill the pastry inthe refigerator for 30 minutes.
- Put the butter, garlic, parmesan cheese and chopped basil into a liquidiser or food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, the ingrediants can be pounded in a mortar and pestle until smooth
- Mix in the pine kernels and add pepper to taste. Chill the mixture in a covered container in the refrigerator.
- Line the pastry cases with kitchen foil and baking beans and bake blind in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and the beans and brush the rims of hte pastry cases with beaten egg
- Divide the garlic butter filling between the pastry cases. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes untilthe pastry is golden brown.
- Remove from the tins and serve immediately, garnished with fresh basil.